According to Wikipedia treason is defined as:
…….the crime that covers some of the more extreme acts against one’s nation or sovereign…….. typically as a slur against political dissidents, or against officials in power who are perceived as failing to act in the best interest of their constituents.
Theresa May has stated that (starts 5:30) the Norway Option would mean:
- Membership of the Single Market would mean we would still have free movement of people;
- Still pay vast membership bills.
- It would also involve membership of the Customs Union.
Let us deal with each assertion in sequence:
- The EEA agreement (Art 112/113) allows any member of EFTA to imposes a halt, for societal reasons, on immigration; see also here.
- Norway does not pay ‘vast membership bills’. Norway makes ‘grants‘. For the 2014-2021 period, the funding is €1.3 billion. In 2016, the UK’s gross contribution to the EU amounted to £19 billion. However, this amount of money was never actually transferred to the EU. The ONS reports that the UK government’s net contribution to the EU – that is the difference between the money it paid to the EU and the money it received – was £9.4 billion in 2016. So viz-a-viz Norway/UK, Norway pays vast membership bills???
- Norway is NOT a member of the Customs Union! Perhaps Theresa May would like to quote ‘chapter and verse’ which shows the opposite?
I have hinted previously that our present government, some of whom voted Remain in the 2016 referendum, have hidden agendas; and thus will do anything to ensure Brexit does not succeed. That Theresa May ‘brooks no discussion’ on Brexit only adds emphasis to the quote from Thomas Sowell that ends this article.